Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas 2008

I am taking advantage of the fact that I have some quiet time for the first time in 3 days. This was by far the most wonderful Christmas ever. John-John is finally old enough to enjoy opening presents and also playing Santa Claus. On Christmas morning we opened gifts shortly after he woke up. One of his gifts was Cranky the Crane from the Thomas the Tank Engine Series. He was so excited about it that it was hard to pull him away in order to open his other gifts. However, his favorite gift was completely unknown. You see one of my gifts was a sound system for my iPod. I decided to download the soundtrack to the Polar Express. I went upstairs to start getting ready and had the music playing while I got ready. John-John came upstairs and immediately recognized the music. He insisted that I play "The Polar Express" song over and over again. He sat as quiet as a mouse in front of the speakers for 45 minutes listening. Mind you there was nothing for him to look at yet he was completely enthralled. No picture (even though I tried) could truly capture this special moment.
After opening presents at home, it was off to my brother's house to celebrate Christmas with my family. Again, another surprise gift. My brother had saved his fire engine from when he was a little boy. This engine is probably 30 years old and yet with all of John-John's new toys this is the one he chose to play with all day. It was truly special to see my brother and my son play with such a special toy.
The day ended by celebrating with John's family. This was a wonderful experience because my neice Kara has two sons for John-John to play with. Hearing the boys run around and laugh was a wonderful sound albeit a little crazy at times. They had fun passing out gifts, helping each other open presents, playing with each others toys.
Of course through all of this, James was cuddled and loved as much as any little boy could be. Most of John's family had not seen him yet, so they were thrilled to kiss and hug on him as much as possible. James was the greatest family gift of 2008!
Saturday, it was off to the Meinecke Christmas in Frankenmuth. Everyone was glad to finally see James since I had him well hidden at the wedding. Once again, he was loved on all throughout the day. John-John had fun playing jazz piano with my cousin Daniel and running tractors with Grandpa. The boys were both given some wonderful books that will give our bedtime routine a new spark. I would like to thank all of my family for making both of boys feel so special on Christmas. Your love and generosity are greatly appreciated. The boys are very lucky to have you in their lives!
John-John and his new travel train case.

"I don't remember putting this on my list. I guess Santa knows best."

John-John listening to the Polar Express.

"My Aunt Carrie buys me the best gifts!"

Playing with Uncle Brian's 30 year old fire engine.

James spending time with Grandpa

Crazy siblings!

Playing with Rowan

Christmas dinner with Reece

"The box is the best gift."

1 comment:

Carrie said...

John and James made Christmas special for all of us.